2020. It was a challenge to keep Bang-A-Song banging this year, but we did it! Here’s what’s been happening…
In The Studio
Thanks to the fine folks who safely joined us at Bang-A-Song to get their tracks tracked, get their mixes mixed and get their masters mastered. We are looking forward to spending more time with you in the studio in 2021!
Thanks to Wangari Fahari, Kenyan born composer, singer and founder of Fahari Records Inc., who spent several days at Bang-A-Song along with Mighty Mystic, Scott and John Aruda (The Aruda Brothers), and Sidney Mills producing (shown above). We also laid down tracks with John Jerome, What Time Is It, Mr. Fox?, Mexican Ape Lord, Eric Salt & The Electric City, George Hall, Brendan Kinetik, Organismic, Telamor, Jon Butcher, The Dazies, Christian Towler, Matt Rhodes, Bob Wolfman, Toby Mountain, Wood & Bone, Tony Mason, Geoff Small, Tim Gearan (live at our own local Shalin Liu!), and Allen Estes.
Congratulations to all our musical friends and clients who were in the studio and who released new music in the back half of 2020. As the year closes, it’s a perfect time to buy new music from artists who have been working hard all year to keep up their creative output for your enjoyment. Check it out!
- Koi Wolf were productive! They released three new tracks on Bandcamp, and my first listen to Boogie Man made me sit up STRAIGHT.
- Telamor is always productive! On the first of every month, a new Telamor track drops on Bandcamp, so follow/like/watch closely as a new tune drops 1/1/2021 called ‘Hello Love’‘. And check out the past few monthly tunes including ‘Be So Glad‘, ‘Victorious‘, ‘Let’s Get This Party Started‘.
- Matt Rhodes released the first torch song single off his upcoming LP entitled ‘Taking the High Road‘ on Spotify. “Taking the high road is leaving me low.” Beautiful.
- Eric Salt & Electric City managed to write the perfect pandemic toe tapper bedroom dancing singing into your hairbrush single in September: ‘Wastin’ My Days Away‘ is on Spotify.
- What Time Is It, Mr Fox? have moved us with a lyric video for their song ‘The Witness’ from their multimedia musical ‘Medusa‘ (which was the musical event of 2019, no contest).
- Mexican Ape Lord released their full-length LP ‘Survival Cannibalism‘, (you can get physical copies from Unable Records) and BraveWords were just as excited as we were to hear it. They’ve named it one of the Top 20 albums of 2020.
- Jon Butcher put out a timely and lovely cover of Leonard Cohen’s ‘Hallelujah‘ right before Christmas. The first single off his upcoming 2021 album is called ‘Special Day‘, and was released in November…the video is a special vessel!
- Christian Towler put out a single called ‘Burnt Sienna‘ which isn’t a Bang-A-Song joint, but we like the track, and he’s been in the studio in 2020, so there’s no rules about that!
- Rockport Music has been making good use of the down time by releasing a virtual series of performances from the Shalin Liu Performance Center, and this one features Tim Gearan and Russell Chudnofsky, which is a good recipe for a good listen.
- Tony Mason was in the studio last year working on the first audiobook project at Bang-A-Song, and the audiobook has been released (here on Audible): JFK: The Last Speech Narrated by Tony Mason
- Toby Mountain released ‘Our Time Has Come‘ with an accompanying video, and the track is available on Amazon Music, too!
Here’s to a happy and healthy 2021. Happy New Year!